#29. Not to Carry Tales.
recorded Jan07 2017
"You will not go up and down as a Tale-bearer among thy people."
(1) Talking behind someone's back is a form of cowardice. If you have something to say, then say it to that person's face, or say it to the proper authorities.
(2) Talking the truth of a person's sins behind that person's back is still allowing that person to continue sinning, and does not fulfill the commandment to always rebuke your neighbor's sin. This is a form of hating your neighbor. See 613.26.
(3) Talking the truth of a person's sins behind that person's back is a form of self-righteousness, permitting you to think you are better than that person. This is hatred also.
(4) Talking falsehood about a person's supposed sin is a form of false witness, whether or not the gossiper knows it is a lie. This Fake News can harm reputations.
(5) Gossip which is also false witness can potentially cause a person to lose his or her family, job, freedom, or even life.
As you can see, gossip, that is, spreading negative news behind someone's back, is wrong, breaking several commandments, and very dangerous.
Join us today to learn more!
Copyright 2004-2017 Tom Wise. All Rights Reserved.